We’re branching out a little from bread-making and trying something different.
This recipe from Simply Recipes tasted ok although we had a glitch which you can see in the photos. I thought that once I combined the (admittedly store-bought) blackberries with the other pie-filling ingredients and baked the pie, the pie filling would end up looking more homogenous that it did. The blackberries had clumps of sugar and flour and cinnamon on them, despite the fact that we left them to macerate for twice as long as recommended, while the crust was chilling in the refrigerator. I don’t think the clumping affected the taste much, but it wasn’t as attractive as other berry pies I’ve had in the past.
I had another unforced technical error, too. I forgot to rotate the pie halfway through the baking process which resulted in inconsistent crust browning.
It tasted OK, not amazing. They recommended between 1/2 cup and 3/4 of a cup of sugar and I used 1/2 cup. It was adequately sweet, not too sweet, but something was just missing. I did also substitute vanilla extract for the almond extract the recipe called for. On the other hand, the scratch pie crust was good.
It’s hard to say if this recipe will change your life, because of the ingredients we used and the various mistakes I made. I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because the other Simple Recipes recipe I have baked is not to be denied 🍪